Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Reflections : Why Do I write & Blog

A few days back as I was chatting with my cousin, a query regarding the cause which impels one to write/blog/share etc, came up suddenly. In the context of my obsession to pen my thoughts regularly in a blog, this I thought, was a very relevant question. But then having a no- clear answer, it left me pondering it over & over again. The undercurrents of the query are quite profound (a) to whom is it addressed, (b) should I assume my competence to contribute even if the target audience is identified (c) or is it mere “kaala Kshepam” meaning a time pass? 

After mulling over the last few days, I think I have something akin to a reasonable “samaadhaanam” to this query. And here I am back to my obsession to blog/share, with that immediate response namely that this urge to write is (a) addressed to no one but myself (b) I assume no competence & (c) this definitely is no time-pass.      

Let me begin with a slightly flippant argument before going over to something more serious later. I have this great fascination for good music. I admire a very few artists with whom I experience a kind of “oneness” ….After I hear them, it is impossible not to try & hum a few beautiful portions of their rendering, and in the process experience something ranging from mere satisfaction to a kind of bliss, depending on the beauty of the particular briga/pidippu The immediate urge then is to share; if the audience is empathetic it adds to the pleasure, but there is no dilution of my satisfaction even when I find the other not responding or worse not relating to it at all, because the bliss lies in that “pidippu/bhriga” and is (a) subjective (b) only individually experience-able 

So to my thought process; I read a piece in “geetha”, and the thought process is rapidly “on”. Gradually I am fascinated to the extent that I want to think aloud, share, without a care whether the others would relate to it. If they do, I have to admit that it adds to my joy. But “no response” is yet to curb my enthusiasm to share/blog.

“Having been blessed with a human birth, wake up from the slumber of ignorance and without wasting a single moment, seek refuge of a seer to gain wisdom about your existence, as the path to realization without their help and guidance is akin to walking over a razor’s edge” 

The above quote is from “Kathopanishad” – a tough Upanishad – borrowed by Swami Vivekananda, & is more famously known as his quote “Awake, arise, etc……” We are in Kalyug, Seers are rare, and if there is one amidst us, I wonder if I will have the wherewithal to recognize him. Worse, even if I do, will I be accepted by him to be a shishya? The answer for the latter is unfortunately “no”. 

Remember that great character by name “Ekalavya” in our Epics? Guru Drona is in no mood to accept him as his shishya. So what does Ekalavya do? He practices alone and with utmost diligence becomes such an expert, that Guru Drona comes calling and asks for a dakshinaa. Contrary to the general folklore that he started practicing with his left hand etc – which to my mind is bull – it is my belief that realization had dawned on Ekalvya….. He had no longer any need or desire to prove himself. He – to my mind-just let all others including Arjun just “be”. The evolved seers also just let “creation” be. 

I have no notions about my ability to find a “guru” nor do I believe a Guru is keen to spot & take me there. Like that Ekalvya, I have to arise, awake, etc, but have to go alone. My practice sessions are my “thinking aloud” pieces in Jignyaasaa. And I do hope that one day a guru will come calling and ask for a dakshinaa namely “to stop” and be silent…..

Till then jignyaasaa will continue….. (Pardon the pun)   

Love

Ekalvya alias Vichu

No comments:

Post a Comment